Subtitle “at least when releasing production code“. I also considered naming this post “Another reason why I’m really going to miss Flash“.
I went back to finishing up the code and then went back to give it one last pass. And again, code was completely non-functioning in Internet Explorer, that is, until I opened up the dev tools.
At that point I had to investigate further (i.e. google), and here are the stunning findings courtesy of T.J. Crowder on StackOverflow:
On IE8 and IE9, the
consoleobject doesn’t exist until/unless the developer tools are open. Strange but true.
You should be getting script errors along the lines of “
consoleis undefined” when you don’t have the dev tools open.
Well now I know better.